Is There a Doctor in the House? – Episode 247
Download This Show: MP3 Download
For PC right click “Save As” – For MAC click the link and click the down arrow
Dr. Pankaj Vashi
Published: January 30, 2021
Can medicine and faith be an effective duo for treating sickness and disease?
Rev. Percy McCray sits down with his personal gastroenterologist Pankaj Vashi, MD, who has served cancer patients for more than 25 years at Cancer Treatment Centers of America® (CTCA), Chicago. Dr. Vashi has been named one of Greater Chicago’s top doctors, as listed in Chicago magazine.
Dr. Vashi was one of Rev. McCray’s lead physicians and helped direct and manage his cancer treatment care plan after he was diagnosed with stage I colon cancer in July 2019.
This conversation between two colleagues and friends explores the aspects of cancer and treatments of the digestive tract, the possible dietary causes of cancer, the importance of preventive screening, innovative treatment approaches and the power and belief of faith and spirituality.
“I think there is a lot to be looking forward to,” Dr. Vashi says. “The whole diagnosis and treatment and new modalities of treatment in oncology is very fascinating.”
Dr. Vashi urges all of us: “Do not ignore any symptoms, number one,” he says. “And if you are at that age of 50, just get yourself checked because there’s no replacement to an early detection.”
- “Gastroenterology is a field that obviously deals with your digestive tract.”
- “Screening is the best way to identify early colon cancer.”
- “We have done a very good job over the last two decades… because everybody—American Cancer Society and our GI organizations—have been pushing to get screening..”
- “…I feel that over the years that I worked here, patients and the family members who have strong faith, for whatever reason, they pulled through this much better than those who do not. I see that all the time.”
- “I don’t start my day without prayers every morning because I know God has given me these wonderful hands to do what I do, but without His help, it would have never been what I’ve reached. So, I strongly believe in that.”
- “I feel like from my own experiences, there is some supernatural power there that helps us, guide us, tells us what to do, when to do. And I think it helps in how I deal with my own life.”